Big Kahuna Hosting User Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]
 11 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:52:06 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
Word Press as a Blog.

http://www.daveschultz.com/

 12 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:50:57 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
Word Press is the easiest way to set up a web site. Most small sites on the Interweb are Word Press. There are thousands of (Free & "Premium") themes and addons, making it super simple to give each site a custom look.

https://wordpress.org/

Big Kahuna Hosting's front page was created in a couple of hours using Word Press. Many small business wanting and inexpensive web presence use Word Press.

http://www.bigkahunahosting.com/


 13 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:39:34 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
https://pmwiki.org/

Pmwiki is a lighter version clone of MediaWiki. It still uses the standard Wiki Markup Language that most all use to format your pages. Wikis are a little complicated and take some practice to get use to, but the average computer user can pick up by clicking Edit an the page of any Wiki to see examples of how it was used.

Big Kahuna Hosting can install the if you prefer someone with experience doing it.

http://www.bigkahunahosting.com/hosting-services/

 14 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:28:28 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
If you've ever been to Wikipedia, then you've seen Wikimedia, as it was written for Wikipedia.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Many companies use it to put together the operations manual for their company, and delicate various sections to different people to collaborate on. Others use it to put together a historical encyclopedia of a certain item. MoparWiki is an example of that. http://moparwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Wikis have a little Complexity to them because most use a formatting language. It is easy to pick up, but will take a little practice. Because Media was written to control the World's Largest Encyclopedia, the installation and upgrades are complicated and best left to pros. Even configuration (if you want to customize) is best kept to the pros. http://www.bigkahunahosting.com/hosting-services/

MediaWiki will use one Database.

 15 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:17:04 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
When you register a domain name with a registrar, you will need to set the name server associated to your domain name to a nameserver, so that the Internet can relay to the correct server. The nameservers for Big Kahuna Hosting is:

NS1.BIGKAHUNAHOSTING.COM
NS2.BIGKAHUNAHOSTING.COM

You'll need to enter both. Each Registrar is a little different on how you do that, but it should be relatively easy to figure out, or call their support for advice.

 16 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:11:05 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
The best there is, but not free. https://www.vbulletin.com/

Old Hippie's Ads uses bulletin as a Classified Ad web Site http://www.oldhippiesads.com/

Vbulletin installing is not for the faint of heart. You should have some experience with databases and php, or have someone else install. http://www.bigkahunahosting.com/hosting-services/

Vbulletin will take one database

 17 
 on: October 26, 2019, 10:05:00 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
Big Kahuna Hosting is using Simple Machines for this forum.

Unlike many of the other Free To Use forum applications, Simple Machines actively supports and updates this application. It serves the needs of about 90% of the people wanting a easy to use/administrate forum. The other 10% needing more features should consider vbulletin. Simple machines will require on database and is most often installed in a directory called forum or forums.

If you're uncomfortable installing into you hosting account, the Big Kahuna can install and set to automatically upgrade as new releases come out.

http://www.bigkahunahosting.com/hosting-services/

 18 
 on: October 26, 2019, 09:54:20 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
Piwigo is a newer Photo Album/Gallery application which is easy to use. It is geared for the Professional photographer who wants to sell his photos.

Set up your albums, drag and drop photos into the albums, and use limited adjustment tools.

Here's a very simple example http://www.bigkahunahosting.com/piwigo/

 19 
 on: October 26, 2019, 09:25:39 AM 
Started by Old Hippie - Last post by Old Hippie
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/76Docs/cPanel+User+Documentation

CPanel is the Administer Control Panel that allows you to control your hosting account and view statistics.



The above link is to the user manual and videos. For the most part, once you have your site set up, you'll only visit to make email additions and changes, and to view your visitor statistics.


Pages: 1 [2]